Saturday, November 27, 2010

Saturday Night, Rotisserie Chicken


I fell behind a couple weeks and I really shouldn't do that because I forget little details. I will do my best to remember everything.

Smoked Salmon Terrine with Dill and Capers

I found this in the Bon Appetit November 2010 issue. I noticed that the Whole Foods Market in Framingham Ma. has "in house smoked salmon", they have maybe 8 different flavors to choose from. When I came across this recipe as I flipped through the pages I thought of the smoked salmon I saw. I got the Mediterranean (I think) flavored one. You combine cream cheese, red onion, dill, capers, lemon juice and salmon that you chop. Then you layer that mixture with more smoked salmon that is cut into slices so when you cut into it (after it sets) you see the layers within. I served it with toasted slices of French bread.


Rotisserie Chicken with Steamed Buns and Two Sauces

Because Tony was home for all the cooking I let him take care of the chicken part of this menu. Also because I don't know how he rigs up his charcoal grill with this rotisserie part that he bought on EBay. Just a sprinkle of salt and pepper over the trussed chicken before hovering over the grill is all it needed because the flavorful part would come in the form of sauces. I made a Hoison Barbecue Sauce by combining and simmering Hoison, ketchup, brown sugar, rice vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, dash of Tabasco, salt and pepper. I also made a roasted cranberry sauce from Bon Appetit November 2010. The steamed buns is something the Chinese do. It's yeast and water combined with sugar, dry milk, cake flour and baking powder. It's a bit time consuming... you mix it together and kneed it then let it rest for 2 hours then add the baking powder and kneed again then let it rest for 30 minutes then form the dough into 16 pieces then let it rest for 30 more minutes and then you steam then for 3 minutes. It's all put on the table and you make your own flavorful steamed bun sandwiches.


Zucchini and Tomato Gratin

On this Saturday morning while I made breakfast, Tony had Julia and Jacque's show on and Jacques was making this gratin. We said..."that looks good"...I happened to have all the ingredients and so it went on the menu, I needed a side dish and this was perfect. It's just thin slices of each the zucchini and tomato, layered decoratively in a shallow baking dish and seasoned with salt and pepper, topped with bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and olive oil. Baked in the oven until the top gets golden brown and the vegetables become tender.



Pumpkin Cappuccino

I envisioned a pumpkin mousse in a glass coffee cup with whipped cream on top to look like a cappuccino. Well I thought the idea came together perfect and for having very little sugar in the recipe it was good and healthy. But Friday Night's are not about being "healthy". It needed more sugar in my opinion but I was following a recipe that was given 5 stars, so I didn't change anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment