Saturday, March 7, 2009

Friday Night Birthday, Swordfish


Anybody who knows me knows that I am not a seafood fan, but I am trying to make myself like some seafood's. I tried a piece of Tony's swordfish one time at The Mill's Tavern in Providence RI, it was a big step but I thought it didn't taste fishy at all and I liked it. Tony's 38th birthday was Friday and he loves sushi and seafood. Usually he only has seafood when we go out someplace. I thought I would surprise him with a seafood dinner. For the appetizer I got sushi for him at Whole Foods.

For the main dish I grilled a swordfish steak with olive oil, salt and pepper and while it was still hot off the grill I topped it with a lemon and garlic sauce that I made in my mortar and pestle; (2-3 garlic cloves, good pinch of kosher salt, zest of 1 lemon, the juice of 1 lemon, black pepper and olive oil). For sides I did Tyler Florance's Scalloped Potato Gratin, I also did some bacon bits that I pre-cooked and added between the layer's. Excellent recipe. The vegetable was Shaved Fennel and Dill Salad (seasoned with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and I toasted fennel seeds and then ground them and added a good amount, about 1 tsp, just to kick up the fennel flavor). I did the salad a couple of hours ahead and chilled in the refrigerator; it's good to do that so the flavors marry and the fennel becomes a little limp (in a good way).

For dessert I had just gotten the new Gourmet Magazine (April, 2009) and they had this recipe, that Tony and I both commented on, that it looks good: Coffee-Chocolate Layer Cake with Mocha-Mascarpone Frosting...(I had to make a birthday cake). We were right, it is good...really good! The same magazine had a recipe for Creme Fraiche Sorbet, so I made that to go along with the cake. Wow you must try the sorbet if you can. Really easy to make and wakes up your taste buds.

Check out the photo's below!


No comments:

Post a Comment