Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fri, Sat and Sun the 13th, 14th and 15th of March

I am typing this late but this weekend was a little different. Tony went to his friend Joe's house on Friday so no regular Friday Night Meal was made.

Saturday was at a neighbors house for a St Patrick's Day get together. I made some pot stickers made with ground pork, ginger, garlic, cilantro, soy sauce and silken tofu and a sesame and simple syrup dipping sauce and Chicken and Cheese Spring rolls; I combine pre-cooked chicken that I cut up and mix in equal amounts of grated Pepper Jack cheese, scallions and soy sauce. I like to use the spring roll wrappers from the oriental market for this. Roll and shallow fry in oil until you get a nice golden brown color. I made an avocado and sour cream dip with lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Sunday, I have this new thing that I have been doing where I print menu's from the Internet and using only the description, I try to make the dish. I could be spot on or I could be way off, but I end up sometimes making something I have never made before. I had printed the menu for "Rivoli", a restaurant in California. So Sunday I made
  • Slow braised pork roast with chocolate, chilies and pine nuts
  • Corn spoon bread souffle
  • Green beans
  • Lemon cream and pine nut and parsley persillade

How would you make that? It came out OK. I loved the corn spoon bread souffle, I ended up finding a recipe in the Joy of Cooking and I just added some frozen corn. I didn't use the right cut of pork, I was thinking pork roast when I was at the store and I got a pork loin, it should have been pork shoulder or butt. Persillade is a French thing where they chop parsley and fresh garlic together and sprinkle it over a dish just before it is done, so I toasted some pine nuts and chopped pine nuts, parsley and garlic together and sprinkled it over the pork, I loved all the flavor that came from that, and I will do that again. Lemon cream... that could be taken different ways, I chose to just mix sour cream, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper.

Before this weekend I made a couple other things from the same menu on a couple different nights after work...

  • Roast pear and ricotta raviolini with brown butter, toasted walnuts, fried sage and Parmesan
  • Roast chicken roulade stuffed with wild mushrooms and herbs, served with potato leek gratin, butternut squash puree and broccolini

No comments:

Post a Comment