Saturday, February 28, 2009

Saturday menu


I am typing this a week late but here is February 21st dinner. This week Tony was finally told he was going back to work after being laid off and so we decided when he got a job we would celebrate at Mill's Tavern in Providence RI, so that is what we did on our Friday night (Tony has reviewed that).

Our friends wanted to celebrate the good news with a really good bottle of wine they had (Rubicon, Rutherford, Napa Valley 2002). We had looked it up and it was worth $170.00 and it suggested serving a porterhouse steak with it. So that's what we did. I made a green salad with thin sliced pears, cucumbers, tomatoes and a wedge of goat cheese tart, which is a Barefoot Contessa recipe, really good. We grilled porterhouse steaks for the guys and the girls had grilled pork chops. Sides were super smooth goat cheese mashed potatoes with scallions lightly sprinkled throughout and grilled asparagus. Dessert was Artists' pallet of cupcakes. I made a basic one bowl yellow cake recipe (from Martha's recent magazine with cup cakes on the cover) I used the mini cupcake pan, while the mini cupcakes were still hot fresh out of the oven, I poured over about 1/2 Tbsp of flavored liquors. One with banana rum, one with cherry flavored liquor, one orange, one raspberry and one hazelnuts. Each one topped with the appropriate frosting and garnishes, chocolate ganache, cream cheese frosting, fresh berries, toasted hazelnuts, banana chips... The idea was to have 5 different colored cupcakes around one side of a white plate and I made a sugar artists' brush for each plate. Basically I followed the recipe for making homemade lollipops and as the sugar cools slightly you can very carefully make the hairs of the brush. I was pleased with how they came out, I also colored them red. So then I placed the brush on the plate as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment