Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I'm back!

We are pretty much settled into our new house and I am starting to feel like I can get creative again in the kitchen.  Here are some dishes that were worthy of a photo...

My version of a Croque Monsieur.  It's a French grilled ham and cheese sandwich.  I made it with a bechamel sauce and mustard spread inside and then topped with bechamel and gruyere cheese.  I made a butternut squash soup which I pureed but then garnished with some butternut squash that I roasted.

Cheddar and Thyme mini grilled cheese points with pepper jelly.  I actually removed the crusts and rolled out the white wheat bread ( I never buy white but I had to for another recipe) with a rolling pin.  Assemble the sandwiches, seal the edges with a little water.  Brown them in butter, cut into appetizer sized points.

Homemade Fettuccine with meatballs and sauce.  I love making fresh pasta and I use just all purpose flour and eggs.  I made the meatballs using 50% ground 90% beef and 50% ground pork, and all the other usual suspects....parsley, fresh bread crumbs, Parmesan, eggs, salt, pepper.  I made the sauce with red pepper flakes, crushed garlic, whole canned tomatoes that I puree with a stick blender.

Turkey and Mushroom Burger with Boucheron Cheese and Balsamic Caramelized Onions.  This was so good!  I have been making this turkey mushroom burger lately but the buns Tony got at Whole Foods along with our favorite Boucheron cheese and onions that I caramelized then added some balsamic right at the end with a teaspoon of sugar was fantastic.  I saute 1 chopped shallot and 1 regular sized container of Bella mushrooms finely chopped, in butter until nicely browned then add fresh thyme.  Let that mixture cool and add to 1 pound of ground dark turkey meat, season with salt and pepper and form into patties.  I cut a Hannah Yam into "french fry shapes" and roasted with salt, pepper and olive oil.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake with Creme Yvette macerated Strawberries and Vanilla Whipped Cream.  

Pork and Cabbage Pot Stickers with soy, sesame and rice wine vinegar dipping sauce.

Roasted \Eggplant Salad with Goat Cheese and Roasted Orange Peppers.

Goat Cheese and Balsamic Onion Tart.

Beer (yes beer) Stew with Creamy Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans. The Stew is made with steak tips (which works nicely) here is the recipe.

Roasted Root Vegetables that I served with a whole roasted chicken which I didn't take a picture of.

Apple Crisp with Haagen Dazs Vanilla Ice Cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment